Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Ponder.


Does this offend you? Something I'm working on at the moment and it's brought up interesting notions that I think people should think about. Sure, this image depicts some pretty harsh stereotypes and most, well-mannered people's initial feelings would be to get offended. But I've found something interesting... growing up around "ghetto" people but also being raised "white-washed" I've discovered that it's the "ghetto" people that find this stuff humorous, but the well mannered are the first to get offended. Even wierder is that non-blacks seem to get way more offended than blacks do. This poses the question... Are we offended because we feel that that's how we're SUPPOSED to feel? This is funny to me because I know and have witnessed this behavior with my own eye (short of shooting an AK47 in the air), but I've been around these people. We all know who they are. There are individuals I had in mind when drawing this.

I think humor and truly enjoying humor really comes from how truthful with yourself you are. Yeah, we've al got faults and stereotypes, but I think that's something we need to be "ok" with and free to poke fun at. Just remember, it's a cartoon, it's not personal. Go ahead and laugh, it's good for you.

No comments: